Getting back at it, again

I enrolled in classes at the community college. Twice a week, I take body conditioning, a PE class. Twice a week is acrylic painting.
Because of my recent foot surgery and the fact that I hadn't been able to exercise for many months, I have to modify many of the exercises in the body conditioning class. I have also had a cough for several weeks, and it's just now getting better. It was the worst when I lie down, since post nasal drip from allergies is the cause of it, according to the pulmonologist.
We start out body conditioning class with a core workout on the mats. We start with planks. I can't put pressure on my toes yet, so they are modified. Front, right side, left side planks. Then Superman pose with arms in front and then arms at side. I'm great at this one, since it's essentially just lying on my belly with my head and feet off the ground.
Then, we go on hands and knees with the left hand and right leg up, then reverse. This is fun to watch others do. It takes a bit of coordination, and several people never get the hang of it. You'd be surprised at how many people try to get their left hand and left leg up at the same time and are surprised that they fall over. Then they try to reverse it. I try not to watch, because I draw attention to myself when I laugh.
We flip over onto our backs for pike position, which is basically just touching our toes with our feet in the air. I am also good at this one, until the coughing starts.
We stretch our hips, do knee hugs, stretch hamstrings and sometimes raise our hips off the ground. Then we go to medicine ball exercises.
Planks on the ball. Also known as try not to fall on your face. I have to modify on this, so I'm on my knees, not toes. If I use the ball, I end up just kneeling and holding the ball. When I tried to actually balance, the instructor asked me not to. So, during this time, I end up doing straight arm planks while making sure my ball doesn't roll away.  I suppose I some use out of the ball, since I'm on one hand catching the rolling ball quite frequently.
Then, dying bugs.  On our backs, ball up, bicycling.  Then crunches with the ball.  Russian twists, which are bringing the ball from right to left while seated, leaning back a bit. 
Then we go back to planks on the ball and repeat exercises.   Because I'm still way out of shape and I'm still slightly coughing, I use the flip over time to tie my shoes, check to see if my socks match, and see what spots I missed when I shaved my legs last.   All good uses of my time.
Sometimes we do jumping jacks, which I modify.  Sometimes squats with the medicine ball.  Sometimes pushups, which I modify, and sometimes we do these with the medicine ball.  Again, attempting to not fall on your face.  
We are then turned loose to do our own workout.   I am usually coughing by this point, so I find my inhaler and water and walk around in the cold air outside until I can catch my breath.
Then I'll do weights for a little while and hit the treadmill with my Kindle until I have to go to the bathroom.  Then I'll come back and work on getting steps in for my fitbit challenge and try to finish a chapter or two in the Kindle.  I am getting faster on the treadmill again, thankfully.   Not as fast reading, though.  The faster I walk, the slower I read.   It's ok, though.  I'm still multitasking.

Comments